Please continue to check here for upcoming opportunities.
This program is intended to provide Kaiser Permanente Staff Nurses with a pathway to expand their practice into a new specialty. Training positions will be posted and Staff Nurses who are awarded a position will leave their current position to enter the training program. Positions are awarded by seniority.
KP will be offering specialty positions on an ongoing basis. They will be announced one week prior to being posted for 5 days via this website. Training positions are posted at least 1 month prior program start date. Start dates for each specialty vary based on facility needs.
Through didactic and simulation teaching sessions, coupled with precepted unit training, the program will prepare you to be competent in a specialty including Labor & Delivery (L&D), Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Intensive Care Unit (ICU)/ Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit (CVICU), Perioperative nursing, Pediatric ICU (PICU), and Pediatrics.
These positions will have an identified training schedule that may be different than the final fixed schedule included in the posting. The clinical training program requires 32 to 40 hours per week. At the conclusion of the training program, trainees will transition to the schedule/shift awarded to them.
Training programs are typically 14 to 24 weeks in duration (see specific program details for program length); during the training program you will not be able to take time off and may be asked to travel to other medical centers for learning experiences.
If you are unable to complete the program for any reason, your previous position may no longer be available to you, but you are able to apply to any eligible KP position.
Feel free to share this flyer with others. Please see Specialty Training Informational Session PowerPoint and recording for more information.
- Current KP CNA-represented Staff Nurses who do not meet the minimum experience qualifications for the specialty they are applying to (For example, applicants cannot apply to the specialty training program if they already have 12 months of experience in a specialty). If you do have more than 1 year of experience in a specialty, we invite you to apply for a staff nurse position at KP.)
- Candidates must have a minimum of 6 months of acute care experience as an RN within the past three years (can be in any inpatient setting)
- Candidates must have an AHA Basic Life Support card
- Candidates must have a current unencumbered California RN License
- Candidates must not have any current disciplinary action in their employee file
For more information about each program click the links below: