I am interested in the MSN Clinical Nurse Leader (MSN-CNL) degree program for RNs. Can you give me more information?
The Nurse Scholars Academy is sponsoring a cohort of MSN-CNL students through the University of San Francisco.
- The Clinical Nurse Leader (CNL) Master’s Degree program is designed to prepare nurses for clinical leadership positions, encouraging a coordinated approach to patient care in often complex environments.
- The program uses a blended learning approach and is designed for working registered nurse leaders. Typically, classes are conducted face to face one day per week for 3-4 hours. Additional work is completed online.
- The Clinical Nurse Leader program consists of 6 consecutive semesters of coursework and practicums.
How long is the MSN-CNL program available?
This is the final MSN-CNL cohort that the Nurse Scholars Academy plans to support.
Where will the Fall 2018 MSN-CNL Cohort meet for classes?
The MSN-CNL cohort starting in Fall 2018 will meet in the Regional Offices at 1950 Franklin St, Oakland, CA 94612.
Can you tell me what the program is like from a student’s perspective?
Learn more about the MSN Clinical Nurse Leader program through the eyes of a fellow Kaiser Permanente nurse previously enrolled in one of the MSN Clinical Nurse Leader cohorts. Read the article.
What are the eligibility requirements to be considered for sponsorship by the Nurse Scholars Academy for the MSN-CNL program?
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- Must be a Northern California KFH/HP non-represented, benefited (20+ hours) registered nurse leader.
- Must have completed at least 90 days as a regular KP employee.
- Must meet the University of San Francisco requirements for admission into the program.
Is the MSN-CNL Program open to TPMG employees?
No, The Permanente Medical Group (TPMG) offers other programs for its nurse leaders.
Note: Submitting information through the website Contact form is not an application. You must apply using the online application form for this program.
I would like to submit an application to the Kaiser Permanente Nurse Scholars Academy for sponsorship with the MSN Clinical Nurse Leader program. How do I apply?
The application is available online at the Nurse Scholars Academy Website now until June 1, 2018 at 11:45 pm or until maximum capacity is reached.
Items needed for your online application:
- Résumé or CV
- A brief statement of purpose describing how the academic program will influence your professional practice and leadership development at KP
- Your direct supervisor’s name and KP email
- Your Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) (or relevant Regional Executive or Senior Continuum Leader) name and KP email
What do I need to do upon submitting my Nurse Scholars Academy application?
The applicant should notify their direct supervisor and CNE (or relevant Regional executive or senior Continuum leader) that the Nurse Scholars Academy will email a link to a reference form. The reference form must be completed in a timely manner to demonstrate support for you as the applicant.
Are there other admission requirements?
Yes, you must meet the University of San Francisco requirements for admission into the program. This is a separate process and you will receive instructions about when to apply to USF after you submit your application to the Nurse Scholars Academy.
Is there any tuition assistance?
- Those selected to participate in the MSN-CNL program are eligible to be sponsored for up to 80% of the tuition cost. Sponsored participants will be responsible for 20% of the tuition cost and any other applicable fees.
- KP employees may also be eligible for tuition reimbursement benefits. Log on to My HR for information about the Kaiser Permanente National Tuition Reimbursement benefit.
- The University of San Francisco may have additional information on other financial aid and scholarships.
- Your University of San Francisco application fee will be waived. You will receive instructions on how to get this fee waived after you apply and are approved for sponsorship by the Nurse Scholars Academy.