I am interested in the MSN degree program for non-represented RNs. Can you give me more information?
The Nurse Scholars Academy is sponsoring a cohort of MSN students through the University of San Francisco, School of Nursing and Health Professions (USF SONHP). Classes begin Spring 2020.
- The MSN program emphasizes the clinical nurse leader competencies including leadership, quality, safety, and evidence-based practice, and prepares nurses to lead teams at the micro-system (unit) level, supporting innovation, transformation, and performance excellence in the delivery of compassionate care within the health system.
- The program uses a blended learning approach and is designed for working registered nurse leaders. Typically, classes are conducted face to face one day per week for 3-4 hours. Additional work is completed online.
- The program consists of 6 consecutive semesters of coursework and practicums.
Where will the Spring 2020 MSN Cohorts meet for classes?
The Spring 2020 cohort will meet:
- USF SONHP Pleasanton Campus
6120 Stoneridge Mall Road, Suite 150
Pleasanton, CA 94588
When will classes be held?
This program follows a hybrid model (online and in-person) The in-person classes are held the same evening once per week (typically 2pm- 6pm):
- USF SONHP Pleasanton Campus – Tuesdays
Can you tell me what the program is like from a student’s perspective?
Learn more about the MSN program through the eyes of a fellow Kaiser Permanente nurse previously enrolled in one of the MSN cohorts. Read the article.
What are the eligibility requirements for the MSN program?
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- Must be a Northern California KFH/HP non-represented, benefited (20+ hours) registered nurse leader.
- Must have completed at least 90 days as a regular KP employee.
- Must meet the University of San Francisco, School of Nursing and Health Professions, requirements for admission into the program.
Is the MSN Program open to TPMG employees?
No, The Permanente Medical Group (TPMG) offers other programs for their nurse leaders. Kaiser Permanente employees from TPMG and other regions may be eligible for KP tuition discounts from USF, even if they do not qualify for this program.
Note: Submitting information through the website Contact form is not an application. You must apply using the online application form for this program.
I would like to submit an application to the Kaiser Permanente Nurse Scholars Academy for sponsorship with the MSN program. How do I apply?
The application form will be available online at the Nurse Scholars Academy Website until November 10, 2019 at 11:45 pm or when maximum capacity is reached.
What do I need to provide for the Nurse Scholars Academy application?
Applicants should be prepared to provide the following:
- Résumé or CV.
- A brief statement of purpose. Save a copy of this to re-use for the University of San Francisco application. Write a brief statement (minimum of 250 words) that describes the reason for pursuing a graduate degree in nursing and contributions expected to be made to the organization as a result of this degree.
- Your direct supervisor’s name and KP email.
- Your Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) (or relevant Regional Executive or Senior Continuum Leader) name and KP email.
What do I need to do upon submitting my Nurse Scholars Academy application?
The applicant should notify their direct supervisor and their Chief Nurse Executive (or relevant Regional Executive or Senior Continuum Leader) that the Nurse Scholars Academy will email a link to a reference form. The reference form must be completed in a timely manner to demonstrate support for the applicant.
Are there other admission requirements?
Yes, the applicant must meet the University of San Francisco, School of Nursing and Health Professions, requirements for admission into the program. This is a separate process and instructions will be provided about when to apply to USF if selected to participate by the Nurse Scholars Academy.
Is there any tuition assistance?
- Those selected to participate in the MSN program are eligible to be sponsored for up to 80% of the tuition cost. Sponsored participants will be responsible for 20% of the tuition cost and any other applicable fees.
- KP employees may also be eligible for tuition reimbursement benefits. Log on to My HR for information about the Kaiser Permanente National Tuition Reimbursement benefit.
- The USF SONHP may have additional information on other financial aid and scholarships.
- The application fee for applying to USF SONHP will be waived. Instructions will be provided on how to get this fee waived upon selection to participate by the Nurse Scholars Academy.