I am interested in the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) degree program for non-represented RNs. Can you give me more information?
- The Nurse Scholars Academy is sponsoring one cohort of MSN students through the University of San Francisco, School of Nursing and Health Professions (USF SONHP). Class begin Fall Semester 2021.
- The MSN program emphasizes the clinical nurse leader competencies including leadership, quality, safety, and evidence-based practice, and prepares nurses to lead teams at the micro-system (unit) level, supporting innovation, transformation, and performance excellence in the delivery of compassionate care to patients.
- The program uses a blended learning approach and is designed for working registered nurse leaders. Typically, classes are conducted face to face one day per week for 3-4 hours. Additional work is completed online.
- The program consists of 6 consecutive semesters of coursework and practicums.
Can you tell me what the program is like from a student’s perspective?
- Learn more about the MSN program through the eyes of a fellow Kaiser Permanente nurse previously enrolled in one of the MSN cohorts. Read the article.
What are the eligibility requirements for the MSN program?
Applicants must meet these requirements:
- Must be a Northern California KFH/HP non-represented, benefited (20+ hours) registered nurse leader.
- Must have completed at least 90 days as a regular KP employee.
- Must meet the University of San Francisco, School of Nursing and Health Professions, requirements for admission into the program.
Is the MSN Program open to TPMG employees?
No, The Permanente Medical Group (TPMG) offers other programs for their nurse leaders. Kaiser Permanente employees from TPMG and other regions may be eligible for KP tuition discounts from USF, even if they do not qualify for this program.
Note: Submitting information through the website “Contact form” is not an application.
I would like to apply for sponsorship by the Kaiser Permanente Nurse Scholars Academy for the USF SONHP MSN program. What are my next steps?
The application for the MSN program is currently closed. Please visit our website for news on the next application cycle. Interested candidates must first be accepted to the Nurse Scholars Academy before applying to USF.
What do I need to provide for the Nurse Scholars Academy application?
Applicants should be prepared to provide the following:
- Résumé or CV.
- A brief statement of purpose. Save a copy of this to re-use for the University of San Francisco application. Write a brief statement (minimum of 250 words) that describes the reason for pursuing a graduate degree in nursing and contributions expected to be made to the organization as a result of this degree.
- Your direct supervisor’s name and KP email.
- Your Chief Nurse Executive (CNE) (or relevant Regional Executive or Senior Continuum Leader) name and KP email.
What do I need to do upon submitting my Nurse Scholars Academy application?
Please notify your direct supervisor and Chief Nurse Executive (or relevant Regional Executive or Senior Continuum Leader) that the Nurse Scholars Academy will email a link to a reference form. The reference form must be completed by leaders in a timely manner to demonstrate support for the applicant.
Are there other admission requirements?
Yes, the applicant must meet the University of San Francisco, School of Nursing and Health Professions (USF SONHP), requirements for admission into the MSN program. This is a separate process. Applicants selected for sponsorship by the Kaiser Permanente Nurse Scholars Academy will receive instructions regarding the MSN program application process.
Is there any tuition assistance?
- Those selected to participate in the MSN program are eligible to be sponsored for up to 80% of the tuition cost. Sponsored participants will be responsible for 20% of the tuition cost and any other applicable fees.
- KP employees may also be eligible for tuition reimbursement benefits. Log on to My HR for information about the Kaiser Permanente National Tuition Reimbursement benefit.
- The USF SONHP may have additional information on other financial aid and scholarships.
- The application fee for applying to USF SONHP will be waived. Instructions will be provided on how to get this fee waived upon selection to participate by the Nurse Scholars Academy.