I am interested in the Bachelor's degree program for RN's. Can you give me more information?
- Yes! Thank you for your interest in the Kaiser Permanente Nurse Scholars Academy! The Academy is collaborating with Samuel Merritt University to offer an RN-BSN program designed for Kaiser Permanente nurses.
- Samuel Merritt University offers a specialized curriculum developed collaboratively with Kaiser Permanente that reflects our theoretical foundations in Caring Science and commitments to enhanced quality and safety for our members.
- The Samuel Merritt University RN-BSN program website has information about the program, eligibility, admission requirements, timelines, financial aid and scholarships: https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/rnbsn
What is the program like?
- Courses are designed to promote teamwork among nurses with different learning styles and will include online and in-person interactions with a peer cohort.
- This is a year-round program that takes place over 5 consecutive semesters. Students enroll in 6-7 units per semester (32 credits total).
- Students can expect to complete this program in 21 months.
- Typically, students will meet in person for one 4-hour session each week at a Samuel Merritt University campus or near a Kaiser Permanente facility. One Saturday intensive is scheduled each term.
- Information on Practicum requirements is available on Samuel Merritt University’s website: https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/rnbsn
Where are the class locations?
- The locations for classes are generally at Samuel Merritt University’s Oakland, Sacramento and San Mateo campuses.
- Future cohorts may also be located directly on KP campuses in areas that do not have an SMU campus.
- SMU campus locations may be found at this link: https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/locations
When does the program start?
Who can apply for the program?
- Any RN with an associate degree who wishes to obtain a baccalaureate degree in nursing may apply to the program.
- RN graduates from diploma programs may also be considered.
Are there other admission requirements?
How do I apply for the RN-BSN program?
Does Samuel Merritt University offer financial aid or scholarships?
- Yes! Scholarships up to 80% and financial aid solutions are available to qualified applicants through Samuel Merritt University.
- You can find out more by going to this Samuel Merritt University link: https://www.samuelmerritt.edu/admission/rnbsn
- For any additional questions, please contact Allyson Purcell directly at Samuel Merritt University at 510-879-9219 or apurcell@SamuelMerritt.edu
Does Kaiser Permanente provide any tuition assistance for this program?
Does Kaiser Permanente provide any discounts for programs other than the RN-BSN program?
- KP employees may be eligible for employee discounts (e.g. computers) through MyHR. Go to (accessible to KP employees only) https://epf.kp.org/wps/myportal/hr/kpme and click on “Employee Discount” under the “Benefits, Pay & Employment” section.
Who do I contact for more information about the Nurse Scholars Academy?
- To connect with resources in the KP Nurse Scholar Academy, please send your inquiries to KPNurseScholars@kp.org or call (510) 987-3621.
Who do I contact for more information about the Samuel Merritt University RN to BSN program?